Visit the Denver Old West YouTube Channel
See interviews with Dusty Rogers (Roy Rogers Jr.), watch our 2011 television commercial, and see links to related news items and video blogs.
Order your 2011 auction catalog here.
Click here for past year’s prices realized.
2011 Denver Old West Auction Highlights
Below are some of the highlights of this year’s auction, grouped by category. Links to high-res photo downloads are included at the end of each section.
Photo Credit: Courtesy Brian Lebel's Old West Auction
Be sure to visit our Breaking News Page for additional highlights, information, and updates.
Order the 2011 full-color auction catalog here.
The Famous Upham tintype of Billy the Kid, c. 1879/80
Download 2 Billy the Kid Photos and Captions
The one and only authenticated photo of Billy the Kid and the most famous photo of the American West. The auction lot also includes a tintype of Billy’s associate, Dan Dedrick (c. 1880), as well as 6 additional photos of Dedrick and his family through the years. It is this family and their descendents that have preserved the tintype of Billy for the past 130 years; written letters and documentation from the family accompany the lot.
Estimate: $300,000 - $400,000
Buffalo Bill Cody and Buffalo Bill’s Wild West
Download 6 Buffalo Bill Photos and Captions
- Louisa Cody’s original copies of depositions taken in 1905 during the (unconsummated) divorce proceedings between her and Buffalo Bill. Witnesses claim Louisa attempted to poison her famous husband with a concoction known as “dragon’s blood,” and that she once stated, “I will bring you Codys down so low the dogs won’t bark at you.” Estimate: $5,000 - $8,000
- The outstanding and extensive personal collection of Jordan B. Cottle, a performer in Buffalo Bill’s Wild West and a personal friend of Bill Cody. His scrapbook is a historical chronicle of the Wild West and includes a personal inscription by Cody; photos of Cody, Annie Oakley, Johnny Baker, The Wild Bunch, The Mexicans, Salsbury, Lulu Parr and more. Business cards of Show performers, letters, route cards, full show programs, season passes (signed by Cody), dinner menus, stationery, the 1887 passenger list for the steamship Nebraska that carried Buffalo Bill’s Wild West to Europe, and too much memorabilia and ephemera to list. Estimate: TBD
- Cottle’s collection also includes his and his wife’s spurs and bits, as well as his Colt revolver and branding iron, both presented to him by the Wild West. Estimate on Colt: $10,000 - $20,000
- One of Buffalo Bill’s personal pocket watches. Estimate: $5,000 - $7,000
Johnson County War Colt and Other Historic Firearms
Download 4 Historic Firearms Photos and Captions
- J.A. Garrett’s Colt Single Action, serial number 11876, listed in the “Arms and Accouterments of Major Wolcott’s Party,” tying it directly to the Johnson County War. Garrett was one of only 4 men charged with the murder of Nate Champion and Nick Ray during the invasion of Johnson County and the siege of the KC Ranch. Estimate: $25,000 - $35,000
- Colt used by a member of the infamous Wild Bunch of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Estimate: $10,000 - $14,000
- A Smith & Wesson revolver and badges from a turn-of-the-century Colorado Marshall. Estimate: $3,500 - $4,500
Fine Western Art
Download 6 Fine Western Art Photos and Captions
- Edward Borein’s, “California Vaquero,” considered by many to be his best watercolor. Several other Borein originals and etchings will also be available. Estimate for “California Vaquero”: $60,000 - $90,000
Read what Roger Haley writes of his mother
- A very important grouping of Will James material, including a newly discovered, unpublished watercolor; the earliest (1911) known bucking horse drawing; a large collection of James books with original drawings, signatures, and rare first editions. Watercolor Estimate: $25,000 - $35,000
- A signed Andy Warhol serigraph, numbered 18/36 TP of “Mother and Child” from Warhol’s Cowboys & Indians Series (1986). Estimate: $8,000 - $10,000
- A set of 6 original pen and ink illustrations by Will Crawford. Estimate: $14,000 - $16,000/set
- Art by Nick Eggenhofer, Remington Schuyler, Ross Stefan, Eric Michaels, Dave Powell CA, Raphael Lillywhite, Wilson Hurley, Ned Jacob, Don Crowley and others. Estimates vary
- Bronzes by Dave McGary, Curt Mattson, Bob Scriver, John Coleman CA, Scott Rogers, Harry Jackson, Bill Owens CA, C.E. Dallin, C. Kauba, Joe Beeler and others. Estimates vary
- Vintage photography by Edward Curtis, L.A. Huffman, Charles Belden, Goff and others. Estimates vary
Native American Art & Antiquities
Download 9 Native American Photos and Captions
- Beaded Omaha Man’s War Shirt, c. late 19th century. Estimate: $6,000 - $9,000
- Crow Polychrome Parfleche Bonnet Case, c. 1890. Estimate: $2500-$3500
- Beaded rifle and sword scabbards, pictorial pipebags, moccasins, dresses, fetishes, toy cradles and other fine beaded and quilled artifacts. Estimates vary
- Apache basketry. Estimates vary
- Navajo textiles, including a unique, finely executed “cow” rug, and a very nice, large Ganado owned by Luis Ortega. Estimates vary
Hollywood Icons and Classics
Download 4 Hollywood Photos and Captions
- John Wayne’s Production Company movie hat, marked inside “J.W. No.12 Bat Jac” also signed inside, “Yakima Canutt.” Estimate: $1,500 - $2,500
- Buck Jones personal belt buckle set, by Scurer of Los Angeles. Estimate: $6,000 - $8,000
- The personal guns and rig, boots, and other items from Cowboy signing star, Chuck Ryan. Estimate: $4,500 - $5,500
- A gold and diamond mounted Portland Badge presented to Leo Carrillo, actor most noted for playing Pancho on TV’s “The Cisco Kid.” Estimate: $8,000 - $10,000
Saddles, Spurs, Bridles, Boots & Cowboy Trappings
Download 10 Saddles Etc. Photos and Captions
- A selection of fine saddles including a group from the Visalia Stock Saddle Co., Bohlin, Garcia, Olsen – Nolte, Flowers, N. Porter, Mario Hanel and others. Estimates vary
- Fine collection of items by master craftsman, Luis Ortega, including braided reins, bridles, and bosels. Estimates vary
- Prison-made horsehair bridles from Montana Prison, Yuma Prison, Wyoming Prison. Estimates vary
- Spurs & Bits by Dahl, Crockett, Kelly Bros., Canon City, Ed Bohlin, C. P. Shipley, McChesney, L&M, G.S. Garcia, A. Buermann, E. Hulbert, Keithly, Rex Schnitger, Miller and others. Estimates vary
- Chaps and other leather by F.A. Meanea, R.T. Frazier, Frank Morrow, Hamley Saddlery, Visalia Saddlery, C.P. Shipley and others. Estimates vary
- A large collection of fancy vintage cowboy boots. Estimates vary
An early Molesworth fireplace screen, a selection of fine sombreros, a pair of finely woven serapes, saloon doors, cast iron shooting targets, antique lithos and advertising pieces, and many other cowboy, Indian, decorator and historical items will be offered in this important sale. Order your 2011 Auction Catalog here.